Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Postedy Post

I haven't been writing much lately.

Things have been very busy over the past little while. I'm on course with work, which is eating up a lot of my time. All in all, I'd say that the course is going well. It's very interesting: lots of material on how to improve analytical thought. All the same, I'm looking forward to when the course wraps up and I get to (officially) become a Man of Leisure.

My interview for the position in Ottawa is tomorrow. I'm excited about it, but nervous at the same time. I've had about as much preparation for this interview as anyone could reasonably expect to get, but I can't help but think that there's isn't more that I could do.

My mother officially has control of the cottage for the next two months. It's great having her out there (and all the family that typically follows her out that way) but I do miss having the place at my beck and call. I'll be moving my stuff back in there on around August 31st, and hopefully I know what I'll be doing for the fall soon afterwards.

We went to Clear the Beer Fridge at Clark over the weekend. It was a lot of fun, but it took forever to get into "Clark Proper" (ie. upstairs, vice the patio). We managed to kill some time by hanging out on Riz's patio, eating some fantastic pizza and drinking some very strong scotch. I was in rough shape the next morning - don't bounce back quite as fast as I used to, these days.

I'm trying to defer my entrance to King's College of London for a year. That would be the ideal back-up plan, because it would allow for all of my current employment applications to terminate before I have to make a decision. Not that I wouldn' t like to go back for my Master's, but it's a lot of money and a lot of school all at once. I think I need a few years to work and gain experience before I hop back into academia once again.

We went to brunch at AquaTerra. It was $18, and it was fantastic. We were there for about two hours, and had about 5 platefuls each. Delicious.

Cheers.

2 Comments:

At 2:26 p.m., Blogger Channing said...

I'm gonna have to try aquaterra when I come back for my visit. Where exactly is it and what is it that they generally serve?

 
At 10:56 a.m., Blogger Ryan said...

It's in the Radisson, down by the water. As for what they serve, I probably have their menu memorized by now. They serve food from both land and sea (hence aqua and terra), with both a "fixed price" menu and a normal menu.

The fixed price menu is great - really cheap (ie. $27) and you get a three course meal. If you go that way, I recommend the Alsatian tarte flambe (like a gourmet pizza) followed by the steak with frites.

They also have a table d'hote, which is a four course meal, with the option of doing wine tasting with it. They bring out a different glass of wine for each of the four courses.

Being a creature of habit, I usually get the same thing when I'm there. For an appetizer, I get the pan seared shrimp. These are shrimp with sliced sausage in a spicy broth, served with bread. Delicious.

I usually follow that up with one of their steaks. I had the New York steak last night, and it was fantastic.

There are a lot of good options for desert, but I recommend the Trilogy. That's three small versions of their most popular deserts. It includes a small section of flourless chocolate cake (basically a cake that's almost as dense as a brownie), a small creme brulee, and a praline semi-fredo. I usually get them to swap the semi-fred with chocolate mousse, which is fantastic.

I highly recommend their brunch ($18) which has everything you could possibly want. Seafood, roast beef, freshly made omelettes, waffles, fresh baked bread and pastries, fresh fruit, deserts, etc., etc., etc. It's only on during Sundays, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home