Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Getting Healthimified

I've decided that my priority for this summer is to live a healthier lifestyle. I had a pretty decent routine going when I was in Kingston, but I let most of that slide when I came to Ottawa. I stopped going to the gym, started smoking more cigars, spent more time at the bars... with predictable results. It's not that I've packed on major weight - clothing still fits, thankfully - but I definitely had less energy, and was less physically fit.

So, hence the new priority. I've timed this to coincide with the change in weather, and with Andrea's move to Ottawa. It didn't help that we only had the weekends together, and that typically involved one of spending a lot of time on the 401/416/417 highway combo. Thus, the timing for this decision.

The Glebe has a tennis club, so I think we're going to get membership there. It seems like a nice enough place, and doesn't look overly busy. I'm not particulary good at tennis, but Andrea claims that she isn't either, so hopefully we find our uniform lack of skill doesn't pose any kind of problem.

The other big change is that I'm riding my bike to work these days. Apart from saving myself some pretty solid cash as far as gas and parking is concerned, it's great exercise and a fairly scenic ride. I'm ridiculously stiff right now - I haven't ridden a bike with any regularity since I was about fifteen - but think I'll be able to keep it up for most of the summer, particularly seeing as it takes about the same amount of time as it does to drive to my very-distant cheap parking lot.

All this to lead in to a question: has anyone else done some lifestyle-changing over the past little while? And, if so, any suggestions? Good snacks, ways to increase exercise, little tricks, all would be very much appreciated.

7 Comments:

At 8:07 p.m., Blogger JTL said...

I cut back on whiskey... I'm down to two 40's a day.

But seriously, I went back to teaching, which is very probably going to hack several years off my life.

 
At 10:46 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

The last thing I want to do is sound like a self-righteous hippie who's trying to pressure you into something. But have you thought about vegetarianism?

It's arguably a pretty big lifestyle change, I'll grant you that. But when I first gave it a shot in February of last year, I decided to try it for a month without any future commitment. When the month ended, I just kept going.

There's a really great book called "Diet for a New America" that you might want to check out. I read it during that first month, and it made things a lot easier.

 
At 10:26 p.m., Blogger Sofi said...

Matt,

Re: vegetarianism.

You're aware that this is Ryan's blog? Ryan Aldred?

 
At 9:36 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was the only health advice I had! I don't do any other healthy things! I work in an office, drink and stay up all night! I just wanted to be involved!

 
At 10:59 p.m., Blogger Ryan said...

Matt: I appreciate your advice. It's a little bit like suggesting that I give up oxygen, but your heart was certainly in the right place. All the same, just talking about it is making me crave a large meat lover's pizza... so let's move on, shall we?

Sofi: Hmm... well, you were more or less spot on. So never mind.

JTL: I can sympathize. I love my job, but it certainly has it's share of stress. Aw, hell. Who needs a kitten when you can have a pet ulcer?

 
At 5:03 p.m., Blogger Jon said...

The only health advice I ever give is as following:

Everything comes down to portion sizes. Exercise, eat whatever you want, but watch how much of what you're eating.

Anything that constitutes a "major lifestyle change," you're not going to stick with.

Also, since it's coming up on summer, take advantage of different fruits and vegetables that are coming into season (personally, I enjoy a good watermelon.)

 
At 2:00 p.m., Blogger Ryan said...

Sage advice, Jon. At this point, I'm working on increasing my exercise. But once I get a good routine set in, I'll definitely be turning my attention to portion sizes. I've been trying to snack on healthy foods during the day, and I think that's been a big help.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home