Monday, April 20, 2009

Resigned

My, my - how quickly a year goes by.

The three of you who still read this blog may recall that it was about a year ago that I decided to take a year-long leave of absence from my job to pursue a charitable side-project on a full time basis. And now, that year is up.

I'd had a number of grandiose ideas when I took this year off. I would establish a new charity, improve my work-life balance, become a published author, turn the charitable project into a paying job, and finally beat Fantasy General. Well, I'm proud to say that I've completed 3 of the 5 goals I set out for myself - though, unfortunately, none of the 3 will help me buy groceries. And then my year was up. So, I quit my job.

And now, those other two goals (either would be fine - I'm not particularly picky) are much higher up on the priority list. I actually do feel like I'm very close to turning this into a paying gig, but a year's a year, and that's all you get. And, sometimes, the gods demand a sacrifice...

If nothing else, I've had a lot of time to reflect over the past year. Though I may have to put paycheque before passion at some point in the future, that day is not today. I love what I'm doing, and am very grateful for the opportunity to be able to spend my daylight hours the way that I do - hanging out in my condo, helping to run a women's school in a warzone.

You know, when I'm not reading Terry Pratchett or playing Mario Kart. Which is what I'm going to do right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home