Thursday, January 27, 2005

Finding Balance

I think things are starting to balance out. The boredom that gripped me with it's cold, TV-wielding claw back in December has loosened it's iron grip. The benefit dinner monkey is gradually being subdued; not going without a fight, but with over a month to go, it's steadily being worn down. It's enough to keep me from feeling like I have too much time on my hands. It's a good feeling.

I feel as though I've reached my material plateau - for this stage in life, at least. When I first left university and entered the working world, the novelty of a regular paycheque seemed like it was never going to wear off. But thinking about it the other day, I realized that if I had a couple million sitting around, I probably woulnd't change much. I might get a nice suit. That's about it. But I think I have enough 'stuff' to last me for a long while yet. Though I'm not quite the minimalist I was Back in the Day (I arrived at Queen's with a single hockey bag), some of the tendencies are still there.

It appears as though my summer as a Man of Leisure will be short lived. Rumour has it that there will be work starting in April that will last through to the end of August. Not that I'm complaining - I love my job. But I will still need to take a few weeks out for travel at some point. It's in the blood now, and it's not going away anytime soon. (21 days until Venezuela)

I've been playing some Blood Rayne lately, which is infinitely hilarious. It's kind of like Indiana Jones, if Indiana Jones was a half-human vampiress who wore a lot of skin-tight, low-cut latex. In the words of the game, Blood Rayne is 'half-human, half-vampire, and all woman.' But you get to fight Nazis, so who can complain?

Plans are underway to go to Toronto this weekend for a period of around ten hours. More to follow on that later... but Elan Mastai has invited some of the fine folk from the Bad Craziness mailing list to visit him for a showing of his new movie, Alone in the Dark. If anything was ever worth an improptu road trip, this is it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home