Monday, April 23, 2007

Blogging Again

It's been a little over a week since my laptop's keyboard had an unfortunate run-in with a glass of port, which has since kept me from blogging. Thankfully, I was able to purchase a wireless keyboard and mouse that seems to have solved the problem, but it doesn't change the fact that it's time to purchase a new computer.

This will be the first time that I've purchased a computer since 1999. I'm currently on my third Compaq, which is the most recent in a line of Compaqs that had a tendency to fail catastrophically in a way that was conducive to receiving a new computer under warranty. I'm not sure what warranty coverage, if any, this Compaq still has, but I'm willing to bet that it doesn't apply to accidental port spills.

While I may have found the least expensive way to secure full health benefits*, Andrea has the best line in on low-cost computers. In a few short days, a new (to me) ThinkPad will arrive.

Here are some of the impressive features that the new computer will feature, relative to the Compaq:

- Computer will not briefly freeze approximately every 7 seconds.

- The music produced by playing compact discs will exceed the noise produced by the CD spinning in the drive.

- The computer's fan will no longer wheeze to life at random intervals and shudder hard enough to vibrate an entire bookshelf.

- The battery will last longer than 0.001 seconds.

- Computer's screen will not lock in place, forcing me to choose between never ever closing the screen again and shattering the screen's hinges.

- Internet will no longer stop working when computer comes out of hibernation, when wireless peripheral becomes too hot to touch, or when attempts are made to access the Internet.

Exciting!

* As far as I've been able to determine, the least expensive way to secure full health care is to take a 1/2 credit correspondence course from a university, and then opt into the student health plan. You get a full year worth of prescription, health and dental coverage for $600, and that includes the cost of the course. Score.

1 Comments:

At 1:19 a.m., Blogger Steph said...

hurrah for freelancers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home