Thursday, February 01, 2007

Where do you get your news?

Where do you go to get your news? And when you do go out for news, what kind of news do you usually read? Or have you given up on the whole formal news thing, and stick to first-hand blogging and such? Or do you just not like news at all?

I'm personally a big fan of BBC World. I usually scan the headlines, and then check out each region individually. Toronto Star is also pretty good, and usually carriest most national level stories. Reuters is excellent, but a little bit heavier than most news services. I mainly hang out in the international section, but will spend my fair share of time in Oddly Enough as well. If I want to see a particular region in greater depth, then I check out the UN's ReliefWeb, which has a lot of information on the developing world.

That's pretty much the circuit. Okay, your turn.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 6:05 p.m., Blogger Jon said...

Since a certain prolific GW alum started working for the Globe and Mail, I find it's become my first choice for print media.

Otherwise, I read a lot of CNN at work. My homepage has been Yahoo.com forever, so I tend to catch headlines there (good for breaking stories).

Overlooked, I find, is the home page of Wikipedia. I'm always amazed by how quickly people can update "current events" pages.

 
At 6:32 p.m., Blogger JTL said...

1. CBC
2. Now magazine (and other alt-weeklies)
3. ZNet
4. 60 Minutes (seriously, it's the only decent thing mainstream US media does well)

 
At 6:44 p.m., Blogger Ryan said...

I should check out Globe and Mail more. I dislike clicking on an article and getting told that I have to be a subscriber to read it, though.

CNN is good. I tend to do a lot of clicking on MSN Sympatico, as well, once I sign out of Hotmail.

Huh. I was unaware that Wikipedia dealt with current events. I'll have to check that out sometime.

I'll have to check out some of these new-fangled alt-weeklies some time. Is the stuff at 60 Minutes all long features, or do they do short stories as well? 60 Minutes is inextricably linked to Andy Rooney in my mind. More to follow on that...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home