Monday, January 10, 2005

.... and back.

Got back from Cuba on Saturday, and back in at work today. It was a good trip - weather was nice and, apart from a few quirks, it was a great resort. I probably averaged about four or five cigars a day, so my throat's a little hoarse at the moment. Oh, and I brought back several packs of Cuban coffee if anyone is interested.

Photos will probably go up on Tuesday.

Some of the highlights of the trip:

- The guy at the front desk who kept winking at me whenever we requested a second bed for the room. We had to ask three times. He probably thought I was just going through the motions. I eventually said, "Guy, my girlfriend will not be impressed if I have to share a bed with another girl." That (and the five Euros I slipped into his palm) probably did the trick, and I didn't have to sleep in the bathtub.

- Erin, when asked how to spell her name, spelling it "E-R-N."

- The middle aged women hooting and hollering at the Cuban men in the fashion show. Lady, they're not going to take it off. It's a FASHION show.

- The fourteen-year-olds at the disco, all doing the slow-clap in unison to Usher's "Yeah!"

- Getting hammered at the swim-up pool bar with some farmers from Saskatchewan and another farmer from Scotland on cap-fulls of Cuban moonshine. In the words of Lyndsay: "Great. Now I'll have sunstroke AND moonshine."

- Playing chess on a 15' chess board. Seriously, the pawns were like two feet tall.

- The middle-aged Cuban security guard trying to pick up Erin.

- Making a habit of going behind the bar to serve myself drinks whenever the bartenders were busy. Eventually, I started to serve drinks to tourists. Then started to spin bottles. Then I started getting tips. Then I got kicked out from behind the bar.

Okay, that's it for now. More to follow when I get my camera hooked up.

3 Comments:

At 12:43 p.m., Blogger Kelly said...

sounds like you had fun!

 
At 5:02 p.m., Blogger JTL said...

Hell of a trip, Fistman. All signs point to me having mono, so I'm sorta glad I've been in K-town sleeping for the past week.

 
At 8:11 a.m., Blogger Ryan said...

JTL: Ouch. Sorry to hear that - but yeah, better mono in Kingston than mono in Cuba. Their health care is pretty good by Latin American standards, but that could just mean that they wait at least three days before drilling a hole in your skull to let the demons escape.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home