Friday, February 25, 2005

Gniz!

... and I'm back. The week in Venezuela went exceedingly well. I actually managed to get a bit of sun without bursting into flames (damn my pale Nordic skin), and picked up some pretty decent souvenirs. As per usual, I drank a lot of rum and smoked way too many cigars. I'm planning to do a full travel review of the resort and Margarita Island, so I think I'll leave it at that for now. I hope things are going well with everyone, and I'll be posting more a little later in the weekend.

Before I go, I'd like to ask all of you one quick favour. Please, read the message below, post it on your blog, and ask others to do the same. You need but cut-and-paste and you'll have my eternal gratitude.

"Dear Friends:

A number of you have e-mailed me asking what I need here in Kabul. I thank you for your concern, but I actually want, or need, for very little. The weather here is a bit colder than I had expected, we still have snow here.

Kabul itself is about the size of Ottawa, and exhibits the scars of thirty years of warfare. Poverty is everywhere, and orphanages -- one of the by-products of a war -- are filled to capacity, and many of the kids in these institutions don't have a pair of shoes.

If you have kids, or know someone who does, can you send me some used kids footwear -- any size will do, from tots to teens. And while we're at it, socks too!

You can forward these to me and I'll make sure that they end up in the right hands -- or should I say, on they right feet. I can be reached at the address below:

Sgt Topolinsky, D.J.
Engr Sqn
OP ATHENA, Camp Julien
PO Box 5006 Stn Forces
BELLEVILLE, ON K8N 5W6

Cheers, and thanks."


It would make my heart glow to get another e-mail saying, "Could you tell people to stop sending me damned shoes? Every orphan in Kabul has three pairs." As for myself, I'm off to the secondhand shops in a day or so to clean them out. If you happen to beat me to the punch, let me know.

2 Comments:

At 1:59 p.m., Blogger Ryan said...

Lang: Cheers... now that you're almost done school, do you have plans to travel at all? I know it's not the most economical decision post-graduamation, but I know a few folk (Yo, Channing) who've made out like bandits teaching English in Korea.

 
At 1:35 p.m., Blogger Channing said...

I haven't been paid just yet... but it's a comin... sweet sweet pay!

There def are good deals to be had over here though... that's for certain!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home