Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Be Careful What You Wish For

I went out to the cottage last night to deal with the aftermath of leaking (and possibly burst) pipes in the basement. We're hoping that a small heater in the basement will up the temperature enough to make a difference. On Sunday night, there'd been about a foot of extra water in the bathtub and the toilet, and water pouring from the ceiling in the basement. Thankfully, it seems to have stopped.

While I was out there, I set foot once again on the (somewhat) solid ground of the now-frozen lake. I was nervous at first, as the recent temperature swings have resulted in what appears to be fault-line like cracks in various parts of the ice. Also, for some reason (the science behind this eludes me) the ice was making odd pinging, echoing noises. Kind of like low-pitched laser beams. Nothing like hearing one of those beneath your feet when you're still not sure if the ice will support your weight.

Fortunately, it did. The stars last night were amazing. I've always appreciated what it's like to be able to spend some time out on the lake under a clear sky, but this is the first time I've seen it from atop a frozen lake. It was incredible. So much that you don't see when you're out in the city. I'll have to post a photo or two, next chance I get.

As for the boredom I had been complaining about back in December, it's long gone. Things are hectic. I've asked for an extension for the benefit dinner, seeing as I only have two weeks left before I'm off to Venezuela. I still haven't heard back yet. By this Friday, I should know for sure. I'm either going to be able to breathe a sigh of relief, or things are going to get a little ugly for the remaining thirteen planning days I have left.

It can't be that hard, can it? Two weeks to prepare a hundred-guest benefit dinner that's open to the public, for whom I still have no caterer, advertising, auction items, guests, or guest speaker? Of course not! Ha ha... sigh.

So yeah, let's hope we can put that back to May 1st.

I'm starting to scan for "real jobs" in Ottawa, but my heart isn't exactly in it. I'm looking forward to spending one last summer in Kingston, and then I'll be able to sit down and work at this in earnest. Perhaps I should have had my contract renewed for another year. I suppose I'm just worried about getting comfortable in a position that really doesn't offer much job security.

There are times when I wonder if I'm forcing myself to grow up too fast. I'm 24, and only a year or two from taking on my first real career. Should I wait a little longer before I pile on more responsibility? The "take a year off and travel" argument is convincing, but considering my work is likely to be international in nature, the idea of traveling and getting paid sounds preferable to living out of my backpack for the next ten months.

It's something to think about, at least.

1 Comments:

At 5:34 a.m., Anonymous David Lewin said...

I am searching for FISTMAN family would you please enable email contact?
davidlewin at btinternet dot com
London

 

Post a Comment

<< Home