Monday, May 12, 2008

Change of Pace

Last post I talked about how I'd managed to dig myself into a pretty big hole, work-wise. I had been spending pretty much all of my waking hours dealing with work in one form or another, and was about ready to burn out. It was pretty clear that I needed a change.

I'd been thinking about what kind of change I needed for some time. In the end, I decided to take a risk and leave my day job to focus on my charitable work and writing to see if I can make either a paying proposition, while making my work-life balance a little more reasonable. May 2nd was my last day.

Now that I have free time again, I'm starting to realize just how much trouble I was in before. I literally have no idea of how to relax. I woke up today with the ability to do absolutely anything I wanted and I ended up spending the entire morning surfing the web and playing XBox. Oh, and I spent more time working.

I'm just not used to living my life consciously like this - being busy is a lovely anesthetic that numbs you against reality. You don't have to ask yourself any of the hard questions because there's always something immediate that requires your attention. Well, that anesthetic is starting to wear off. If I spend the morning eating cheeze puffs and watching Dr. Phil, I have absolutely no one to blame but myself.

But enough whinging. I'm sure that things will settle out, once I've had a bit more time to adjust of my (non) routine. I can find a nearby cafe where I can work on my writing, trade Mercules for a fun yet sensible classic car, spend more time at the cottage and do all the things that I haven't been able to because of work.

It'll be great. And I'll get to that right after I lead the Master Chief to victory against the Covenant.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 7:41 p.m., Blogger JTL said...

Welcome back to reality, man.

 
At 8:45 p.m., Blogger Ryan said...

Thanks. It feels good to be here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home