Saturday, October 01, 2005

I heard back regarding the job again, and it's going to be one more interview and likely another three weeks of waiting. It's still my first choice, but I think I'm going to start cold-calling companies that interest me to see if they're hiring. Another week, and I'll likely look at contacting a head-hunting agency to see what they can offer me. It's expensive, but it's time to put my heart into this job search.

I'm working this weekend. The cottage is beckoning, but I think we should have another couple of weekends of nice weather before we start looking at the first snow. That's what I'm hoping, at least. Compared to other weekends, this weekend has been unusually - nay, tragically - low in terms of its Heineken and nicotine content.

I tried to put a cover on my boat just before I went in to work, and I was so immersed in what I was doing that I didn't notice that the bag for the cover had blown out to the middle of the lake. By the time I noticed, the cover was on and that boat was going nowhere. I dragged the kayak down to the lake, but got about three paddles from the dock before it flipped, promptly dunking me in the water. In Closing: The water's still pretty warm, and I can swim in boots.

Questions: Do you know of any good head-hunting or staffing agencies in Ottawa? Have you ever had to swim in boots? Does paying the local laundromat to wash and fold my laundry make me decadent, or merely lazy?

3 Comments:

At 6:50 p.m., Blogger JTL said...

It's tough to be decadent around Kingston, so I'll go with "lazy."

 
At 10:18 a.m., Blogger Ryan said...

I kind of like the term "efficient". I mean, which is likely to consume more time? Me washing my clothing by myself, out at the cottage? (Where, incidentally, we have no dryer and have to put everything up on the closeline) Or, someone else doing my laundry when it's A) their job, so they're really good at it, and B) they're doing 80 other loads of laundry, so they're not just hanging around, waiting for things to finish.

Ah, the things we say to justify our purchases.

I do think it's fantastic that someone would get wash 'n' fold when they have no money left. It puts it up there among such other necessities, such as clothing, shelter, and beer. Susan, did I ever meet this housemate? It's something I could see a few people doing. Also, more people need to use the word "heist".

Swimming in boots was surprisingly easy, though I wouldn't want to do it again anytime soon. These were work boots, which wouldn't be nearly as bad as Wellingtons, I would say.

 
At 1:22 p.m., Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

I have had to swim in jeans and running shoes. They started to feel rather cement-like after a while.

Don't know of any good staffing agencies in Ottawa that would be of help to you. Then again, I never found any staffing agencies that were of real help to ME.

Re. the laundromat: it makes you BOTH!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home