Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Update

It's been another couple of relaxing days out at the cottage. I'm now in the process of cleaning the place up, as my sister and brother-in-law will be coming down for this upcoming weekend. It's not in too rough of shape, but there are a lot of details that need to be taken care of. I'm reasonably domestic, so this shouldn't be too bad. I'll probably need to fold sheets, but I'll be damned if I'm any good at it.

Andrea and I went to Sci Formal this weekend, which I have to say was a helluva lot of fun. Andrea had to get her hair done starting early in the morning, so Jake and I elected to spend the first half of the day doing more man-oriented activities. This included having steak and eggs down at the Toucan (with one (1) pint of Guinness), followed up by scotch and chess over at the Brew Pub (Score: 1 to 1 by the end of the second game) and capped off by Cuban cigars on Jake's porch.

As for the evening itself, we started off with a three hour long dinner at AquaTerra, then made our way to Grant to participate in the festivities. The rest is pretty much a big blur. The rooms were done up really well, the booze was flowing, and I ran into a lot of people that I haven't seen in ages. Good times.

It was also my first test run for my newly purchased tuxedo. I'm now black-tie ready at a moment's notice, so if any of you are attending/crashing black tie functions, please let me know. I'm so down for that.

We did brunch on Sunday, and then we went out to the cottage. I stayed out Sunday/Monday/Tuesday, but Andrea had to go in for class. I wish I could tell you that I accomplished a lot (taught my self French, wrote another chapter of my novel, read some Shakespeare, cured cancer, etc.) but then I would by lying.

I played hours upon hours of Morrowind.

For those of you not familiar, Morrowind is a very open-ended role playing game (RPG) for XBox. Bottom line, where most video games can be vanquished in about ten hours, I've already put in about thirty, and I'm still nowhere near finishing one of the possible endings. Anyway, I've decided to put down the controller for most of today and do something other than play Morrowind. Anything other than play Morrowind.

The rest of the week looks like it's going to be busy. I'm in town by the end of today, then off to Ottawa first thing tomorrow morning. I have my language assessment on Thursday, so I'll be there overnight, then likely back in time for work on Thursday afternoon. Then I'm look at another weekend. Where does the time go?

4 Comments:

At 6:27 p.m., Blogger Sofi said...

Photo/s of Sciformal requested!

 
At 3:11 p.m., Blogger Ryan said...

Sofi: No photos. At least, there are none that I'm aware of. Andrea and I did a portrait that's going to be mailed to her, and that's about it. Uh... it looked great, though! Does that help?

 
At 12:07 a.m., Blogger Channing said...

Two things...

First - Is there a way to fold fitted sheets?

Second - I played Morrowind for what seems like 200 hours (and it likely was)... Not to mention the fact that I had the complete guidebook (and let me tell you that No Logo by Naiome Klien was a smaller book)... And I never finished it. There is only one ending, but there are hoards of side quests that you can finish (many of which I finished). I had played for about 100 hours before someone else told me about the Vampire quests (I imagine that right about now you're immitating me when I first heard about the Vampire quests by saying "I didn't even know that Vampires were in the game".

That said, Morrowind is a really COMPLETE game. It's bloody huge too. I think it's incredible that people can put so much time into a project like that... It's almost unreal.

Anyhow... It's a great way to wast a decade or so in a safe and non-expensive way.

 
At 8:44 a.m., Blogger Ryan said...

Channing: It's an amazing game, no doubt about that. It took a while to get into, partly because of that complexity. But, now that I'm going, I can tell it's going to keep me busy for some time. I've been focussing on the main game quests, so I've advanced fairly far. (And yes, I did know that there were vampires, but was unaware that there were specific vampire quests.) But I've largely ignored the side quests, so I can tell that this is going to have a huge replay value.

Apparently they're coming out with a sequel, too. Not sure which console it's going to be on, though...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home