Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Update

It's been a while since I've posted any kind of comprehensive update on the blog. Surprising, considering so much has happened lately.

Both jobs are pushing forward at full steam. The first position I mentioned has finished its testing, and it should just be a matter of time before they call and make me an offer. There are (in theory) things that could get in the way of this, but I think it's pretty likely to come through at this point.

The second position is now booking me in for language diagnostic testing. The idea is to establish whether or not I'd be able to pick up French, assuming that they provide me with a year of in-depth training where I'd be doing nothing but studying my second language. From what the rumor mill has been passing on, it's not an overly difficult test. Still, I'll be glad once it's done.

As part of my language diagnostic testing, they need to first estabish where you are in terms of your knowledge of the French language. In case you need to ask, the answer is "not very far along at all."

I didn't do too badly on the reading test, but as for writing and conversation... well, let's just say that it's quite likely a pigeon pecking at a keyboard could have beat me in the multiple-choice writing test and that, during the oral communication test, I had to ask the receptionist to make sure my interview was actually over. It was supposed to last an hour, and I was there for 20 minutes, 10 of which were spent in awkward silence as I attempted to time-travel myself back to Junior High school, which was when I last studied the subject.

As for what I'm going to do when these jobs start hiring, I'm still not entirely certain. They're both excellent positions, and I could see myself making a career out of either of them. I suppose we'll see what happens when the big day arrives, assuming that one or both of them decide to make an offer.

Work is still going well. Still doing the 1/2 weeks, which works out great when I need to head to Ottawa on short notice, or when I decide I want to spend a day wearing fleece pants and playing XBox. I did that today. I'm not going to lie to you. It was pretty fantastic.

I've talked about putting more time in on my writing lately, but that's all it's been - talk. That said, I authored a short article for a local community newspaper, and managed to get my Halifax article up on TravelMag.co.uk. I'll post the links to those later in the week.

1 Comments:

At 9:33 a.m., Blogger Ryan said...

Susan: Have you looked at the practice test online? You can find it here at http://www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/ppc/grt_info_e.htm . I've also found that for government testing, the testing used for grad school (ie. GREs) is a pretty good way to practice. I'm a big fan of the GRE PowerPrep software. It's free, and you can find it at http://ets.org .

Let me know if there are an specific questions that you're having issues with... the one set that I had problems with were the ones that did the numerical sequencing (ie. 2, 4, 8, 16, etc.) I could do the simple ones, but damned if I could get the harder ones.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home