Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Fantasy Hockey

So, a friend of mine invited me to his Fantasy Hockey league, and I decided to go for it. Despite having an uncle who played in the NHL for several years, I have to admit that I know relatively little about hockey. I do like watching Olympic hockey, and I really enjoy going to see a live game from time to time, but that's about the extent of it.

Oh, and I know that I bear a striking resemblance to Leaf's centre Mats Sundin, as seen below:

Mats Sundin


Me

Striking, isn't it?

Not knowing anything about hockey, I picked my team based on how amusing their names are. I decided to name my team "The Polish Sausages", and my line-up looks something like this:

M. Sundin (Tor - C)
S. Yzerman (Det - C)
V. Prospal (TB - LW)
F. Modin (TB - LW)
R. Zednik (Mon - RW)
M. Gaborik (Min - RW)
P. Kubina (TB - D)
D. Tarnstrom (Pit - D)
J. Niinimaa (NYI - D)
R. Hamrlik (Cgy - D)
J. Nieuwendyk (Fla - C)
O. Kvasha (NYI - LW)
M. Czerkawski (Tor - RW)
F. Kaberle (Car - D)
J. Slegr (Bos - D)
R. Brind'Amour (Car - C)

I'm particularly proud of Roman Hamrlik and Rod Brind'Amour.

I don't think this is going to be a particularly serious league. Most of the draft time was spent discussing my friend's sister, and who would like to draft her.

So, if anyone does have any advice for how to best manage my Fantasy Hockey team, I'm all ears. Just don't expect me to trade anyone with a really cool last name, is all.

2 Comments:

At 11:08 a.m., Blogger JTL said...

I believe one Tavis MacCallum is related to Mr. Brind'Amour. (I could never quite get over the random apostrophe in that guy's name.) And I'll bet you picked Janne Niinimaa based on double-letters alone.

For fantasy baseball and hockey leagues, I've tried to sit down and pore over stats and make the best picks... but in the end, people go down with injuries and have awful years anyway, so it's basically a crapshoot. Going on amusing names alone is probably just as solid a strategy as any, really.

 
At 8:04 a.m., Blogger Ryan said...

JTL: I'm hoping that's the case here, as well. Yahoo (where the league is held) has an informal stats, so I picked them based on funny names, but in the order that their stats were ranked.

Of course, this strategy could all fall apart in trading, when someone offers me Bruno St. Jacques or Lyon Loyns for Mats Sundin, and I'll have to seriously consider it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home