Sunday, October 23, 2005

Themes

What is it that separates a good blog from a not-very-good blog? I think a good blogger writes with passion about issues that are important to them. I think that they open themselves up, and share things that they wouldn't ordinarily share with the rest of the world. I think that they experiment with different posts and different means of expression. And finally, I think that they abandon a never-ending flow of "day in the life of..." posts to explore central ideas in depth.

That is to say, good blogs use some kind of theme. These blogs allow the author to articulate a primary focus, introduce subordinate premises, and arrive at some sort of final conclusion. That conclusion can then be challenged or supported through the comments section.

I've been trying to come up with themes for this blog, and it hasn't been easy. I think that the themes that bloggers have the most to say about are ones that they would never consider writing about. They are things that, to them, are common sense and a matter of course, while to the reader the theme may be a complete mystery.

This is why I'm going to focus on three different themes for my next three blog posts before I resume describing my evening dinner, or the quality of my time at the cottage. I think I'm going to pick one theme that's very broad, another that's very narrow, and yet another that's very personal.

And no, writing a post with the theme of using themes doesn't count.

6 Comments:

At 6:22 p.m., Blogger Sofi said...

I disagree. That's all well and good for essays, but I think that themes limit blogs.

For me, a good blog entertains. And doesn't post photos of cats.

That's it.

 
At 8:36 p.m., Blogger Ryan said...

I should've been a little broader. What I should have said is that the thing that I think my blog is missing is more use of themes.

I think most people do "A day in the life..." very well, but themes are more difficult. You're right, of course, that the bottom line of any blog is how well it entertains (and not posts photos of cats). But I have a real respect for someone who is skilled at theme-craft.

I'll go back to the usual blogging in a few days, but I want to try my hand at the use of themes, first.

 
At 12:50 a.m., Blogger Kelly said...

You do like posing questions for people to answer, so that could be a part of it.

 
At 11:51 a.m., Blogger Ryan said...

I prefer to see themes in posts, rather than across the whole blog. I think it's great if someone can tell a solid narrative, but I think it's even better if there's a theme behind the narrative that the author's trying to get across. But to put a whole blog into one theme is going to be quite limiting.

We can see how well my pursuit of themes is going, considering all I've done recently is post the results of an web-quiz.

 
At 2:50 a.m., Blogger Channing said...

What about pics of dogs... or of dog soup?

(Let the games begin!)

 
At 12:48 p.m., Blogger Eve said...

Richard's recent use of cats in blogs has been quite good, actually.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home