Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The Kindness of Strangers

I've had a pretty good couple of days. While still basking in the comfort of knowing that my boat was rescued by my neighbours, my most recent shipment of cigars was being delivered to my PO box. Vegas de Santiago may not make the world's finest cigars, but they make a reasonable fascimile, and for significantly less than your average Cuban.

That's enough to make them a good cigar company. They are, in fact, an excellent cigar company. An excellent cigar company is all in the details. For instance, when I ordered my first batch of cigars, they came with a free cutter. As for the most recent batch... well, you know how a lot of companies use bubble wrap or packing peanuts to prevent product from rattling around when it's being shipped? Vegas de Santiago uses extra cigars. FREE cigars.

The job hunt is progressing well enough, even if it is at a rather sluggish pace. For each batch I send out, I seem to get one or two people who express an interest. One gentleman has actually been so kind as to forward on my resume to someone who he thinks might be interested. No interviews yet, but we'll see how things go later this week. This should be around the time that the job I'm most interested in calls back regarding my final interview, so finger's crossed on that one.

Other than that, I've been spending a lot of time with my good buddy, the Prince of Persia. He's changed a bit since the last time we hung out, but it's always good to spend some time with an old friend.

1 Comments:

At 7:17 p.m., Blogger Ryan said...

They're all sealed in plastic when they're shipped, so no real worry of that happening. Just as well, otherwise they'd still take on the scent of cardboard, and perhaps anything else that they're being shipped with.

I've since learned that, while they're respectable cigars, they're really not anything special. But, that doesn't matter - the slight 'bending of the rules' in the favour of the consumer makes them something worth talking about, and hence is excellent marketing.

Same deal with AquaTerra. Go there enough, and they start paying for an after-dinner drink. Are they still making out like bandits? Most definitely. But it still keeps me coming back for more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home