Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The Move

Today I move to Ottawa, officially. This isn't a "house hunting trip" or an "interview trip" or "yet another damned interview trip". This, folks, is the Real Deal.

I'm going to blog about furnishing my apartment, because several friends / fellow bloggers have expressed skepticism about me being able to furnish my apartment for less than $1500. I hold true to this claim, and will keep you posted on the day-to-day drama of furniture buying.

I'm thinking of taking a step back from the house hunt, and letting myself get settled in before I make any rash decisions. I want to buy something, but everything's so damned expensive, and there have been few houses that made me look at them and say, "THAT one. Perfect." I think that should happen when you buy a house.

Okay, time to stop blogging and pack. Getting this bar packed up is probably going to take at least half an hour, all by itself. And don't get me started on cigar supplies.

4 Comments:

At 4:12 p.m., Blogger Kelly said...

good luck, ryan!

 
At 7:41 p.m., Blogger Ryan said...

Thanks, Kelly!

 
At 6:44 p.m., Blogger Sofi said...

Good luck with the move!

Billy Mavreas is a well-known curiosities/antique shop owner in Montreal. He once told me that he laughs at people who pay for their furniture. Apparently, it's easy to find decent pieces for cheap/free. You just have to know where to look.

I have every faith that you will be able to find the ottoman of your dreams for $10 or less. Keep us posted.

 
At 8:39 p.m., Blogger Ryan said...

Sofi: I agree completely. I've found some real steals in second hand shops, and have also heard great things about estate auctions.

The only problem is the timeline. I need to be in Ottawa, ready to start work in three days. I hate to say it, but I may just have to solve my problems at Ikea, and then keep my eyes out for nice pieces once I have time. Sigh. Stupid deadlines.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home