Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Poking my Head Up

It's been a while since I'd written, and I realized that if this blog was meant to do more than just languish and die, it was time to do some writing. Alas, the kind of writing I need to do probably won't fit into the eight minutes I've alotted before I go to bed, but I hope to make time for it sometime later in the week.

I've also toyed with the idea of starting up a second blog. Or third blog. Or fourth blog. This all depends whether you count my travel writing as a blog, or if we should consider A Helpful Suggestion to still hold a place in the line. Regardless, it's still an idea that I think about from time to time, and there a few would-be topics to fill the void.

I'm not sure if I mentioned earlier that Andrea introduced me to Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series, but she did. It's a really good series. On one hand, it's full of dragons and wizards and magic, which is precisely what I feel like doing when I come home from work having spent my entire day reading and writing, well, the polar opposite of wizards and magic fiction. This means that I have some form of escapism that doesn't involve playing video games. There's more than ten books in the series thus far, which means this diversion will last a while yet.

Beyond that, the themes that are addressed through the series are intelligent and thought-provoking. I don't know what encouraged Mr. Goodkind to use wizards and dragons as a filter through which to examine ethics and sociology, but he does a pretty good job. Of particular note are the "Wizard's Rules", which are rules that, to my way of thinking at least, are applicable for non-wizarding folk as well.

And... eight minutes are up. Time does fly. But seriously, people-who-read-this-blog-regularly, I miss hanging out with you all. We need to do it again, soon.

Question for you all: Do you have a book (or series of books) that addresses a serious issue in an indirect way, that makes in particularly enjoyable to read? If so, drop a line...

1 Comments:

At 6:49 p.m., Blogger Ryan said...

Er, comment. Drop a comment. Here. I'll start:

Wizard's First Rule: "People can be made to believe a lie, either because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it's true."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home