Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Update

It's been a busy couple of days. Elena and some of her friends were in town this weekend, and we threw an impromptu party here at the place. You never know how these last-minute things are going to turn out, but this one was a blast. Elena and her friends have some damned hilarious stories, and I had a few laughed-til-I-cried moments. Good times.

I'm starting to feel as though I'm more settled into Ottawa. I think I've got a bit of a routine going - nothing that I'm tied down to, but something that lets me keep on top of errands, work and exercise while giving me time for fun, socializing, movies, side projects and XBox. It's hard to find a good balance, so who knows how long this'll last, but I'm enjoying it while it's here.

We had a beautiful day yesterday - after a pretty gross week, temperatures spiked in around 10-15 Celsius. I had a lot of errands to run that day but I found time for a walk, and I'm really glad that I did. I've also started swimming on a fairly regular basis (2 x per week) at the nearby community centre, and that's really helping. I hate exercise that feels like exercise, but swimming is a good way to unwind after a long day.

I've been on a Amazon.ca blitz recently, and am particularly proud of my recent order. It included two new Presidents of the United States of America CDs, the second of which I'm currently enjoying. The name may not immediately ring a bell, as they were big about ten years ago, and then seemingly faded into obscurity. For the longest time, I thought they only had a single CD. Oh, how thrilled I was to find out that they had many more...

Their music is silly, fun and irrelevant, without trying too hard to be funny. It's enjoyable music even if you never pay attention to the lyrics, but if you do have a close listen, you'll find most of their songs are dedicated to things like peaches, kitties, the Death Star, candy, Tiki gods, etc. So much fun.

Seriously, if you haven't heard the Death Star song, go find some way to have a listen. It's hilarious.

Andrea and I are going to see Borat later tonight. We're excited - I've been a fan of Ali G. and assorted characters ever since I was introduced to him by my brother-in-law two or three years ago. Borat is, by far, my favourite character. I have big hopes for this movie, and hope there's a good crowd in the audience tonight.

Question: Do you like the Presidents of the United States of America? If so, do you have a favourite song?

2 Comments:

At 3:41 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

R.:

First of all, thanks for the kind words about the gathering at your place. We had a great group of people, everyone mixed well and had an awesome time.

Secondly, PUSA are awesome. I mostly listen to their first CD, and I am quite partial to Back Porch, and We're not Gonna Make It. The latter will be my theme song if I make it into grad school. And of course, Lump is a classic.

Hope you liked Borat. I saw it the day after we were at your place and died multiple times of hysterical fits of laughter. 'Here is the local welder...and abortionist'. Gold.

E.

 
At 9:33 a.m., Blogger Ryan said...

E.,

That was a great party. We need to do something like that again sometime.

I highly recommend PUSA's newer CDs. I was a little sceptical at first, but was quickly won over. Solid gold.

Borat was absolutely hysterical. We saw it the following Tuesday. It's pretty rare that a film will get me laughing until I cease making any kind of sound, but Borat's definitely did the job.

R.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home