Monday, March 07, 2005

A Pox Upon the FDA

So it appears that the FDA is implementing some regulation or another that may prevent me from being able to order my cask of scotch. When I heard this, I was a little surprised. To start with, I live in Canada. What the hell does the FDA get to say about my scotch? Not a damn thing, says I.

I politely informed the fine people at Bruichladdich of this fact, and hopefully they straighten things out. To be blunt: I don't care if I have to rum-run my scotch back to Canada, the cask duct taped to the bottom a rickety biplane, I still want my damned cask of scotch. Now make it happen, Bruichladdich.

This weekend went very well. I met Andrea's mother on Saturday, and we hit it off fairly well. She and her former roommate were down for the weekend for the Queen's Bands Centennial. I think it must've been my first time seeing Bands since I was a frosh, and they put on a hell of a show.

Sunday was spent in fine Sunday fashion. Hanging out at the cottage, watching mindless comedies, and eating pizza. Zoolander remains the official movie of the cottage. I must've watched it a dozen times, and I still find myself laughing at the same stupid jokes. Classic.

Still no word from NPSIA, but I haven't been able to check my PO box lately, either. My sister said they called her to make her an offer, but that was for the department of film studies. Still, there were a few empty messages left at the cottage, so perhaps that was it. Fingers crossed...

Any recommendations for a good restaurant in Montreal?

5 Comments:

At 6:46 p.m., Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

I haven't read all of your archives. What is NPSIA?

In MTL, there's a place on St. Catherine St. that sells the most amazing cheesecake and the best smoked meat sandwiches. I cannot remember the name, but it's in the Peel area, or within a few blocks. You'll know it because they have these absolutely enormous jars of pickled red peppers right in the window. It's not haute cuisine by far, but it's good for cheap local fare.

 
At 9:23 a.m., Blogger Ryan said...

That sounds perfect for a good Sunday afternoon lunch before heading back to Kingston. Good call. Let me know if you think of the name... though I imagine it'll be fun to try and track the place down.

The NPSIA is short for the 'Norman Patterson School of International Affairs,' which is my first choice for where I want to go back to school. The program I applied for is their Master's in conflict analysis and conflict resolution.

I sent in my application months ago, and I should find out in mere days as to whether or not I've been accepted. So yeah, just a wee bit anxious to find out if I got it or not.

 
At 9:24 a.m., Blogger Ryan said...

Forgot to add: NPSIA is part of Carleton University, up in Ottawa. (The last bit is for everyone else's benefit - I'm sure you know where Carleton is, having lived in Ottawa for some time.)

 
At 7:04 p.m., Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

Crap. The place in MTL I mentioned may have 'deli' in the name but I honestly cannot remember anything other than that, and don't even count on that. A tick-off, especially as I've been there twice. I'll do some research to see if I can come up with any more details. But it's those jars of pickled peppers that stand out to me... It's on the opposite side of the street that the Chapters is on, but I don't know where it is in relation to the Chapters - but it's in that area for sure. We didn't venture very far and we stayed at the Y on Peel St.

As for NPSIA (thanks for enlightening me), relax, I'm sure you'll get in! I hope you find out soon so you can stop agonizing and get on with your life. Been to Ottawa much? Know it at all? Well,I'm sure the weather in Kingston is similar...

 
At 7:53 a.m., Blogger Ryan said...

I have enough now that I should be able to piece it together, but if you do come up with the name, I'd appreciate it.

It's hard not to focus on the whole NPSIA thing, particularly seeing as this is going to have a major impact on the next few years of my life. Still nothing in the mailbox, though, so I'm doing my best to relax until I hear one way or the other.

I've spent a fair bit of time with Ottawa for work, and have visited my sister and my cousin there a number of times. I really like it - not too big, but with a certain charm to it. Not that Kingston isn't great, but after six years it's beginning to feel a little bit small.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home