Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Sigh...

Having convinced myself that I wouldn't hear from Carleton until the end of the month, I wasn't expecting much when I pulled up to the postal outlet. Despite this, there was a fair chunk of stuff in the mailbox. My spirits raised when I saw a package, then lowered when I saw my mother's handwriting. Nothing against her, but I was hoping the package was from Carleton.

But there was something from Carleton. A lone, slim envelope.

Anyone who's ever applied to anything can tell you: big is good, thin is bad. This was no exception.

I'm feeling a little bit lost right now. Not as bad as I thought I'd feel, but there's still a sense of drifting aimlessly. I'm not giving up. Not by a long shot. But that was the school for my program, and I didn't get into it. I'm not really sure if any other grad school is going to cut it, after that.

Tonight I'm going to apply for work with CSE. I still have graduate applications out, but they're all in the United Kingdom. As much fun as that'd be, I want to go to Ottawa.

On the bright side, I have all summer to figure this out. I just don't want to have to pack it in and go home.

I like what I do. I'm good at what I do. Why can't I find a permanent job doing it?

Work has confirmed that they won't be calling me in over my vacation time. I'm off work until April 4th, at a bare minimum. For those of you who have some time free and want to go grab a pint and catch up, you know where to find me.

4 Comments:

At 6:30 p.m., Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

Sorry to hear about your news. All that anxiety for zip in the end. Is that it for Carleton opportunities? I mean, is there a waiting list for this program you might be put on or anything like that in the picture? But the UK is a great second choice. I'd love to go to school there. Think of the travel opportunities, the proximity to decent scotch...

Feel better soon.

 
At 6:40 p.m., Blogger Ryan said...

This is it, as far as Carleton is concerned. They mentioned nothing about a waiting list, or anything like that. But the more I think about it, the better that going to Ottawa for work sounds. I've got a full summer to figure things out... we'll see what happens.

 
At 11:08 a.m., Blogger Kelly said...

*hugs* Sorry to hear that.

 
At 11:52 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear the news, Ryan. But it does sound like you've got plenty of options, and plenty of time in which to sort them out. I know it's going to work out for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home