Thursday, April 21, 2005

Growing Up

There was a voicemail message on the machine when I got in last night. As it turns out, I have some aptitude tests to write in Ottawa. This being the first positive sign that I've received on the job hunt thus far, I'm pretty happy about it. As for the aptitude tests themselves, I'm not overly concerned. Tests that you can't study for are by far the best kind of tests.

That is, except for the IT knowledge test. So if any of you out there know of any good basic references for IT theory relating to software and hardware, I'd appreciate it if you could post a comment.

It's a funny feeling, rushing headlong towards a career. I'm looking at places in Ottawa, and starting to seriously question whether I should rent a place or buy a condo. I wouldn't go ahead and buy a house, but I'd definitely consider a one bedroom condo. Here's another question: do you pay property taxes on a condo, or is that included in condo fees?

It's hard to imagine. Working a real job. Owning a condo. It'll almost be like I'm an actual adult. Scary.

3 Comments:

At 6:59 a.m., Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

We are in the market for a condo, too. I went to www.mls.ca and got lots of info, including tons of listings, often with decent pictures. You do pay property tax on a condo, but usually it's included in your monthly mortgage payment. It's called PIT: principal, interest, taxes. The condo fees vary depending on what you get with your condo, but I noticed many of them included things like heat and hot water, sometimes hydro, and other things like parking, maintenance, and if there's a pool etc., that too.

 
At 8:00 a.m., Blogger Channing said...

Crazy dude... Crazy... You're all growed up!

 
At 3:04 p.m., Blogger Ryan said...

My sister had a pretty good agent, so I'll probably go with her. But we'll see what happens - it's close enough to ponder, but not so close that I'm ready to start calling an agent.

It's handy knowing so many people that have lived / are living in Ottawa, as it'll make it easier to figure out where the best places to live are.

But the condo deal definitely seems better than renting. At least you're saving some of your money, versus giving it all to a landlord.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home