Monday, April 25, 2005

Sophia Autumn Grace

I became an uncle on April 23rd, as little Sophia Autumn Grace entered the world. At 1:27 pm, to be precise. I, for one, am profoundly grateful - as is, I'm sure, my sister Jenn's stomach.

It still kind of blows me away that we're self-replicating devices. You'd think that this would have occurred to me before now, but this is really the first baby that's come into my family since I was born, so it's finally something that happens to us and not just other people.

I think it was the way my mother's voice was all choked up when she called that got things to finally sink in. I'm an uncle. An uncle. Uncle Ryan.

I'm going to get that kid into so much trouble.

I can't wait to see her - my niece - this summer.

7 Comments:

At 7:41 p.m., Blogger JTL said...

That's wickedawesome, dude. I saw my sis-in-law on the weekend, and she's huuuuuuuge. On or about May 17, I will similarly become Uncle Jason.

 
At 8:47 p.m., Blogger Ryan said...

JTL: Exciting times - I'll save my formal congratulations for after the big event. Do they know if it'll be a boy or a girl?

 
At 11:19 a.m., Blogger Channing said...

"Sophia... Let me tell you a few stories about good ol' Unckie Ryan... Back in the early 00's, there was a shortage of towel handlers for... well... nevermind!"

Congrats dude! You're gonna be a great uncle. You better make sure she gets into oodles of trouble. That kid'll have the finest appreaciation for scotch and cuban cigars, long before the rest of her public school friends will!

Cheers

Channing

 
At 11:19 a.m., Blogger JTL said...

They have a hunch it's a boy, but it's a bit tough to tell from the ultrasound. I don't think they care, as long as it's healthy. (I personally don't care, as long as they name her/him Biff. That's all I ask.)

 
At 4:52 p.m., Blogger Ryan said...

Channing: That's something I plan to be very careful of, is smoking in front of the young and impressionable ones. Especially my step-nieces, when they're around for the summer. They'll see a bad enough example if they ride with me in Mercules down that back road.

JTL: Health is the most important thing, no doubt about that. As for Biff, he/she will have a great legacy to emulate either way. Either he/she can harrass Marty McFly through time or start a band. Either one is pretty cool.

Great Scott!

 
At 10:03 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sister's birthday is also April 23, so they're twins! But, if you don't tell us whether the kid is a boy or a girl, how do we know if you're an aunt or an uncle?

 
At 11:03 p.m., Blogger Ryan said...

I was so flustered when I first heard that my sister was pregnant that all I could think to say was, "I'm going to be a relative!"

Ahhh. Good times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home