Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Hello, Internet. I've missed you.

I'm back online, after a few days of Moving Hell. It wasn't so much the Moving that was the hard part, so much as it was the acquiring and assembling of furniture.

Oh, remember the $1500 budget? Well, forget the $1500 budget.

I decided to do everything from Ikea. It's a fairly economical idea, and leaves me with some reasonably nice furniture that can go into my basement when I no longer require it. But, as anyone who has ever dealt with Ikea knows, the assembly process is rather involved. In a make-you-want-to-kick-a-hole-in-your-brand-new-bookcase kind of way.

Andrea was up this past weekend, and thank goodness that she was, for otherwise I'd probably be sleeping on a pile of cardboard boxes instead of my nice, cozy bed. She is an Ikea-putting-together master.

The apartment is really starting to come along. It still needs a fair bit of work (and some decorating) but in the mean time, it's definitely quite liveable. This is the first time I've ever lived on my own, in my own place, and it's a good feeling. I think the house-hunt is to be put on hold nigh-indefinitely, though. I just don't think I need to buy a full house, and I'm certainly not in the mood to move again anytime soon. But we'll see if a few months change my mind at all.

Oh, and I've started work. And, you know what? I love my job. Love it. Worth every second of waiting, applications, delays, commuting, moving, furniture assembly... everything. I wake up in the morning, and am genuinely excited about going in to work. The people I work with seem great, and are very friendly to the new guy. Still early to say, but I think this is going to work out very well, indeed.

So, what does the future hold? In the immediate future, I'm going to do some laundry and then make a trip to Walmart to see if they have a decent price on a wireless router.

That's right, Future Shop. You heard me. WALMART.

2 Comments:

At 11:31 p.m., Blogger JTL said...

1. Engineers are great for putting Ikea stuff together. I think they have three or four courses in that alone. That, and jacket-slamming.

2. Please not Wal-Mart... please. I picked up a wireless router in a crazy Boxing Day sale at Best Buy for what will eventually be essentially zero dollars. They can be had for a very reasonable price; check your local computer-geek stores. (I bet Kingston Computer Planet can hook you up with someone up there pretty easily. They're hardcore gamers/geeks, and I'm sure those types of people network.)

(Pun intended.)

 
At 4:44 p.m., Blogger Ryan said...

I need to track down a nearby Best Buy (even though they are under the same company as Future Shop). Regrettably, Kingston Computer Planet is now more than 100 km away. Hopefully, I can track down something similar nearby...

Stupid wireless router isn't connecting, and I think it's because Linksys's software is having kittens. I'm going to try and get another wireless device (probably something USB) and save the wireless card for my mini-laptop. That, or I'll put my foot through my screen and solve this mess once and for all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home