Friday, May 27, 2005

Gratitude

Last night, I was fortunate enough to sleep in a real bed.

I was warm.

I had food in my stomach.

I was not awoken by the crackle of gunfire or the distant thunder of artillery.

None of my loved ones were taken in the middle of the night simply because they had spoken their mind.

No one came to my house to murder me and take my belongings, or to kidnap me and hold me for ransom.

I slept through the night peacefully.

I am very grateful.

Perhaps, one day, everyone will be able to say the same.

3 Comments:

At 4:14 p.m., Blogger Channing said...

I too am very grateful for these things... But what inspired you to mention it?

Or is it a quote from somewhere (I seem to remember some quote that sounds roughly familiar).

 
At 6:15 p.m., Blogger Ryan said...

It's something I do from time to time - whenever I feel as though I'm starting to take things for granted, I take a step back to realize exactly how fortunate I really am. Life is much, much more difficult for the vast majority of the people on this planet, and I figure the least we can do is realize just how lucky we are.

 
At 8:48 p.m., Blogger Channing said...

Very true. It's good to watch a humbling movie like "Hotel Rwanda" every now and then just to remind us not to take everything for granted.

I also seem to remember an old quote or prayer that goes along the same lines.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home