Thursday, September 01, 2005

The Big Easy

It appears that the aftermath of hurricane Katrina will be even worse than the massive damage inflicted during the hurricane itself. They believe thousands to be dead, with little relief in sight for those still trying to deal with the hurricane's destruction. What's worse, those who are still in New Orleans are those most vulnerable to its effects - the poor, elderly, and the infirm.

And now, whatever hasn't been blown away is being looted. Police have been forced to abandon search-and-rescue efforts and concentrate on halting looting and violence. Armed gangs roam the streets, assaulting police officers, firing on military aircraft, and looting everything from jewelry stores to hospitals.

My question for you, dear reader, is this. What is the underlying cause of this mayhem? Was there inadequate evacuation for the poor and infirm? Is chaos inevitable in any kind of serious disaster? Does racial tension in the southern U.S. play a role? Is enough being done now, or is the problem still being handled too lightly?

All insights, regardless of length, are appreciated.

3 Comments:

At 3:02 p.m., Blogger Ryan said...

I agree. I think poverty had a major role to play in the looting. At least, initially. It's easy to see how things like that could get vicious quickly. The group of people stealing food, say, would be quickly overwhelmed by the group of people stealing guns.

 
At 11:09 a.m., Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

I agree that poverty is a large motivating factor in New Orleans. I read in the Vancouver Sun that 2/3 or something of NO's population is black, and most of them are really poor (not that they're doing all the looting, I'm not implying that at all). I think it said that the average yearly income for some is like $11K, which is $4K less than the national average. I am not niave enough to believe there is no racial discrimination there, either, and it is a city of haves and a lot of have-nots. People are desperate, and if they aren't getting the help they need, then the survival instincts kick in and they do what they feel they need to do. Seems like their government didn't act quick enough to boot, which wouldn't help. As for shooting at helicopters - I don't know. Didn't they take that guy away in a straightjacket?

 
At 11:42 a.m., Blogger Ryan said...

I was in New Orleans not that long ago and there was a definite sense of racial tension, even without the disaster.

I often tell the story of going into a "black" McDonalds. That is to say, all the customers and employees were of African American origin. I was getting a lot of attention - not necessarily hostility, but there was definite surprise. It was a sense of "you have your spaces, and we have ours." I didn't even notice until near the end of my meal. I think most Canadians feel that way - that race is not the first thing they notice about someone else.

But, I think it's that way in a lot of the southern states, despite the progress that's been made. There's an unofficial segregation that has had definite concequences.

Do I think that they were justified in shooting at rescue helicopters and contractors trying to repair the damage? No. That said, I'm not sure that the poor population in New Orleans has every reason to trust a police force known for its corruption and heavy-handedness.

My brother-in-law is in the town right now, covering the story for CTV. When he comes home (and all the hopes and prayers in the world that he comes home safe and sound), I will be interested to see what the situation on the ground was really like.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home