Friday, August 26, 2005

Dreams of Floating

That was a hell of a dinner last night. Thanks to everyone who came out for it - Andrea and I had a great time. Best of luck to Dave and Sian in Destination: Unknown.

I had my first session with my trainer today, and it went really well. It feels as though this may be a good way to build some healthy habits. I think motivation is an issue for me. That is, I tend to lost track of my work out program and eventually stop going to the gym. If nothing else, by paying for set appointments, I'm much less likely to miss them. That, and the workout that I went through feels as though it accomplished a great deal, without leaving me exhausted.

We've had some nice weather the past couple of days. Here's hoping it holds out until Labour Day. Andrea and I are going to Halifax for that weekend, but I'm planning to go out to the cottage for a few days after we get back. If I'm ambitious, I might do some sailing or some swimming. More likely, it'll be time to get in some quality floating.

I'm not sure if I've ever described the floating ritual before. Well, here goes.

For me, a proper floating occurs on a nice, hot summer afternoon. One of those days where there's almost no wind, and you can hear the cicadas humming in the trees. Just after lunch is usually a good time for it.

Then, you get yourself one of those big, black inner tubes. Some of you kids might like your air mattresses or your inflatable chairs, but I'm old school, and I like the inner tube. It's easy to move around, durable as all hell, and the black traps the heat, so you roast on both sides.

You also need a cigar. I recommend the Cuaba, preferably something in the Exclusivos or Generosos range, but a Tradionales will also do the job nicely. Also, a nice, cold beer. Heineken is usually my tube-floating beer of choice.

You then proceed to lie in the tube, and drift out into the sunshine. Preferably, somewhere surrounded by ridiculously tall trees.

You should not move for at least one hour.

And that, my friends, is the best way to spend an afternoon.

2 Comments:

At 1:46 p.m., Blogger JTL said...

Just don't forget the sunscreen.

 
At 3:42 p.m., Blogger Ryan said...

Indeed. I had the absolute worst lifejacket burn, last time I was out on the sailboat. There were two big stripes on my shoulders, and another on my lower back. It was a bad scene.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home