Sunday, August 21, 2005

Man of Leisure

I woke early this morning for no particular reason. The clock showed 7 am, but it was after 8 before I finally stumbled downstairs to read a book and perhaps catch up on some e-mail.

It's looking as though there may be a month or more tacked onto the tail end of the application process. I'm not really complaining - I knew it could take this long (or longer) when I first applied, but had hoped that I'd be able to wrap things up just a few days ago. Alas, no such luck.

About three weeks have gone by since my application to Foreign Affairs was bounced along to the next stage. It has, apparently, been "referred to the department" who will contact me if interested. Still no word. I'm not as keen on the whole Foreign Affairs scene as I was a few years ago, but it would've still served as a very useful backup plan.

I guess I'm just used to having a plan B, and it's a little unnerving to think that my current Plan B won't kick in for close to a year, should my current efforts fail to bear fruit.

I'm fortunate, in many ways, to have the time and opportunity to select a job that is meaningful, rewarding, and financially viable. I know there are a lot of people out there without that opportunity.

That said, I'm ready for a measure of stability in my life. I spent last year living out of an overnight bag, splitting my time at three different residences. It was a choice I made, and I'm glad I made it.

But it would be nice to have my own place, with my own furniture. I would like to be able to select personal hygiene products based on their quality, rather than how well they're going to fit in my toiletries bag.

As for that extra month, I think I'm going to have another look at my writing. After some measure of progress with Geriatica, I basically dropped the project altogether. Perhaps it's time to have another look at it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home